Tuesday

To Triple-X or Not to Triple-X

For some time, there has been a movement out there that has suggested that the internet masters should designate a special address for adult content. Like the .com, .org, .net designators, these adult sites would use .xxx A neat idea that would help identify adult sites. The problem with this idea was the lack of control. I've been torn on the issue myself for a lot of reasons some of which are raised in this post by Larry Maqid over on the online CBS site. Some of the other reasons are contained in the comments to that same post. For me, the designation, whether mandatory or not, legitimizes the free-for-all of online access. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude, I just don't think that it should be easy for youngsters to access or be unwittingly exposed to adult content. A standard designation may make it easier to filter and block sites, but it will also allow less savoury characters to hide behind that wall of legitimacy. Free speech, regulating content, security... this one covers it all. The regulators rejected the proposal, by the way. As I said, I don't know if that was good or bad. What do you think?

No comments: